Friday, November 03, 2006

Real Jakey

At the risk of embarrassing my mother and my husband, I'm going to tell the story of picking Jakey up at the airport because it's just too funny not to.

Many moons ago, Jakey decided that he would rather all his future nieces and nephews call him Uncle Butt Monkey, and so I agreed (as did several others of us) to call him that when we have children of our own. So far Emily is the only one to have a kid and he calls Jakey, Uncle Jeek instead. Oh well, kids do what they are going to do anyway.

Knowing Jakey's preferred Uncle Butt Monkey status, Phil and I decided to play a practical joke on him. As practical jokes go, this wasn't our best work, but it was still good. Fortunately for us, Emily and AJ were very willing participants.

...

At the airport, whenever I have gone to the baggage claim, there is always a limo driver inevitably holding a sign with the last name of whoever they are picking up. I have been picked up by these people myself on various business trips.

Wednesday afternoon, we had Emily and AJ, who Jakey would definitely not recognize, holding a sign at the baggage claim that said Uncle Butt Monkey with a photo of a monkey butt. Liz and I hid in the airport chapel and watched from the low windows on the floor (we were trying to get the attention of small children, but they didn't see us). Sure enough, Jakey came plowing through looking for us and Emily held the sign right in his face so that he couldn't miss it. His face was priceless and I wish I had it captured on film/file. He was re-introduced to Emily, whom he hadn't seen in 22 years, and her husband AJ. We collected his big ugly bag and went home to Phil's house.


Jack Jack immediately freaked out. He is so afraid of fake-Jakey and even more so of real-Jakey. He was barking and running to hide behind AJ, his new best friend, for protection. Jack Jack has calmed down some since Jakey's arrival, but he still runs behind who ever he considers his closest protector.

...

On a side note, Scott has posted his birthday activities with photos. It's worth taking a look. Click here, to read all about it.

5 comments:

Ann said...

You Yeagleys are SO MUCH FUN!!
Have a great visit with your little bro!

karin said...

I wish we would done something like that for when Katie flew in a few days ago. Yeagleys are too funny. I wish you had a picture too.

Anonymous said...

OK, to set the record straight, butt monkey wasn't a self applied name. Long ago Alice and I were having a conversation and, at some point, I called her "sweetheart" or something similar. And she squealed and insisted I not call her by cutsie nicknames because it was gross. I asked if she'd prefer "horse lips" and...she did. It was after that that she started calling me with butt monkey. And once she got a little momentum, her plan became that all the nieces and nephews would know us as "auntie horse lips" and "uncle butt monkey". The end.

Plus, also, the morning I came to NC I had nicked my cheek shaving and had knocked it back open sometime on the flight. So when Emily and A.J. greeted me in the airport, I had an amazing face full of blood which I was totally unaware of. I assume I looked like I'd been in a knife fight between the gate and the baggage claim. The end, for real.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Ann. Karin, you guys have an untapped resource right under your nose in Beebes. Her capacity for all things silly stems deeper than you all realize. Somewhere she has talking Big Bird's head leftover from Yeagley-Stewart adventures.

Jakey, I did not recall that Uncle Butt Monkey came from that conversation, but I assure you that I did not invent that name. It was all you. Also, it was "baby" that you kept calling me. I still prefer Horselips to baby. Brothers have no business calling their sisters "baby" (ick).

chunkymonkey said...

Silliness? me? I am in complete denial. I do love a good Butt Monkey, though. I wish there was a video of the whole episode!

Thank-you for putting links to stuff that we enjoy, too. Its the only way a lazy interneter sees interesting stuff--that and having a Tyler who loves to show "Ask a Ninja" (Youtube) to you at 11:30 at night.