Friday, May 04, 2007

The Sweet Release From Testing

I just woke up from 14 hours of straight sleep, thanks to about 25 hours of straight testing. Yes you read right. It turns out, my five-hour stats final took about 21 hours (with a short nap break and soda run at 4AM), and my two-hour research methods test was the full four hours I've come to know and love (right). This is what I expected grad school to be like, but it still isn't fun.

It's been a long two days, but I'm finished with my first year of graduate school and it feels so good to be done. Especially since I am
NOT taking any summer classes. This will be my first summer off since I was about 14-years-old. Granted, I have a summer job lined up for mid-June, but still time off. I haven't even been able to imagine such a thing for 17 years. Let's hope I kept my A's. I'll keep you posted.

Today, if I summon the energy, I plan to clean and organize our attic. I think this is the only cool weather we're getting until fall. Sweeping up hundreds of dead wasps
IS more appealing that writing 34 pages of correlation, t-test, and ANOVA calculations by hand. Emily should be so proud of me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your teacher is evil for having you do ANOVAs by hand. Pure Evil. Congrats on being done.

karin said...

Congrats on testing and on getting SO MUCH SLEEP. I must say that I am a little jealous about the sleep but not about testing or cleaning the attic. But you not be jealous that I am going to sit in OC traffic on a Friday afternoon with 2 kids (one of which refuses to use a diaper and they try to sleep) and a husband who LOATHES traffic after many months of driving it 5 days a week.

Anonymous said...

I hate your traffic too Karin, but not more than that stats test.

Ann said...

You are definently an overacheiver, Ali. Who else would top off a bazillion hours of testing with cleaning bug corpses from the attic??

chunkymonkey said...

What are ANOVAs and calculations and such? What is this secret grad school lingo? I'm so curious I want to go, too.

Anonymous said...

It is statistics and Emily knows more than I ever want to about the subject. Actually, so does my dad.

Anonymous said...

Oh. And ANOVAs (analysis of variance) is just the statistical test you run to make sure your experiment results weren't just a coinkydink.