Sunday, July 01, 2007

Ohio - Part Deux

Photo: Here Lies Kitty

I realize I have been a little behind on posts the last two weeks, but I started a new job and went to Ohio for a long weekend. It was filled with kittens and a highly detailed tour of Liz's hometown of Wapakaneta, where I saw Mary's adorable house, climbed a rock garden, and ate astronaut ice cream at the space museum.

On the way home we stopped in Albany for a quick tour. We checked out the old house again and it has changed a lot. I took some 360 video, but it may take me awhile to get it up on youtube. The above photo is the grave site of Kitty, who's passing is detailed in this blog last year. It was very traumatic for me.

Photo: Stewart's Apartment at Carriage Hill

This the actual apartment that Stewart's lived in at Carriage Hill in Athens. I spent many hours in this apartment.

Photo: The Bank in Athens My Mom Hit with the Car

I was with her when she did it. Phil remembers it too.

Photo: Across the Street from the McDonald's Where We Got Hamburgers and Water

My kids will never hear stories about walking in the snow uphill both ways to school, because I will tell them how we were so poor that my parents would occasionally treat us to Mickey D's and we could only afford hamburgers and water with one large fry to share between the eight of us. Delish!

Photo: Bleachers at the Alexander High School

I spent many an hour beneath these bleachers during Spartan basketball trying not to trip on all the slimy Spree and popcorn.

Photo: The Hall to Dad's Office

His office is now being used for storage. The old part of the school looks nearly the same and the old FFA building is still in the back courtyard. The stage is gone and the old part even smells the same.

Photo: Alexander Spartan Head

It was all white when we were kids. Except the one time the Athens kids painted green and gold as a prank of course.

Photo: Mrs. Wheeler and Mrs. Raines' Classrooms

Photo: The Old Playground

Photo: Albany Elementary Cafeteria

Photo: Cafeteria

To be posted at a later date; Me with kittens in my pockets at the Montgomery Family Reunion. All kittens believe in the pockets, just ask Cousin Liz.

4 comments:

Karen B said...

The picture of the cat grave is my current favorite picture and may be my favorite picture EVER.

Unknown said...

I think when we lived at Garbage Hill the cars were not so modern-looking. I don't really remember.

chunkymonkey said...

I loved McHappy's. It use to be all pink and brown inside (so ahead of its time) and Grandma would buy us donuts when she came. And Mrs.Wheeler and Raines' classrooms look more ghetto than I remember. And where are the playground toys? And I want to go some time. I still think it can't be as big as I remember and it still all looks big in photos... Thanks for sharing!

Ann said...

Awesome pictures! (Thanks for pointing me here) I always thought we lived on the 2nd floor of a 3 story building at Garbage Hill. Of course the only memory I have of that place is falling off the monkey bars and getting stitches in my head. Only one real memory of school, too. Me stealing dum dum suckers from Mrs Wheeler and being forced to apologize by my parents. I guess I remember bad stuff easier than good.