Sunday, August 19, 2007

I Lost My Funny


With all the changes brought about by my meds, my funny seems to have disappeared almost entirely. I miss it. I thought it was entertaining and occasionally charming, and so I thought I should take this moment of clarity to say so. Looking back through some of my posts I can see a distinct drop-off in funny as soon as I went on the meds. It's a bit depressing, much like that moment in Mary Poppins when Uncle Albert realizes the children must leave and he cries and sinks to the floor after uproarious laughter on the ceiling.

I am learning through all of this that a health crisis forces you to scale back all of your glorious plans to nearly zilch. I had a list. It was long. Several of you saw my list appearing in this blog in small spurts. Start a blog for profit, make 1000 or so quilts for Christmas, edit my living family history documentary, pick a thesis topic, and on, and on.... Now my plans are to get through the day so that I can be a reasonable student at night.

Mornings are bad for me. I am relieved that classes are at night. I would fail if they were in the morning. I have never been so happy for church to be switching to 1:00PM in my life. By 1:00PM I am nearly alert and relatively conversational. Even my vocabulary seems to return almost in its entirety. My secondary goal at this point: be sort of normal by Christmas -- perhaps even funny.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry about mornings. Hang in there. And congrats on late church.

karin said...

I am like that without meds. I try to not make ANY phone calls before noon, I think I sound like I have no idea what I am talking about, I ramble. Our church is at 2pm but my kids are naughty then because of nap time so it kind of is a win-lose situation. (wow that was a rambling comment- oh look it's before noon!)
I hope things get better and Christmas is a good goal.

Anonymous said...

You can't be funny all the time.

Karen B said...

How do you know policemen are strong?

Karen B said...

Because they can hold up traffic.

Anonymous said...

I got that joke.

chunkymonkey said...

I think your blogs are still witty, just not as frequent. And I'd like to vouch for Karin. Its true she's like that without any help. You know the next sentance, Karin, so don't take offense: Me, too! I just come alive around 10:00 (or later).

Anonymous said...

dear ali
i was going to write a stupid joke in here but karen beat me to it "darn" her and her thyroid medicine. i am going to start saying that the big orange is on roids.....now thats funnny. ha ha ha ha

what the hey...
a man walks into a bar......ouch
ha ha ha ha ha ha....i am soooooo funny.

or...

if your an american when you go in the bath room and your an american when you get out of the bathroom...what are you when your in the bathroom? .....European
wha ha ha ha ha ha ha...

Karen B said...

Anonymous Liz spelled every single word correctly. Is it her? Is it me pretending to be her? You be the judge.

And another joke from the craptastic show that is NCIS...

James Spader Wanabee: I'm stuck writing on Chapter 7. I just can't seem to move on.
Landen, AKA serial killer: It could be worse.
James Spader but uglier if possible: How?
Landen who pours coffee: It could be chapter 6.

Oh what a card that Landen is.