Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Avast Ye Maties

I'm sure that we've all got economy on the brain with the drama unfolding on Wall Street and the Government bailout, and we've all got big opinions and observations about it. Perhaps even some of you may panic if you're not well diversified. But the one thing I was not expecting was what I heard on NPR tonight on my way home, which was that the economy may bring about an increase in the modern day pirating industry, currently going on at shipping ports all over the world.

Where have I been? Apparently it's been problematic for a long time and the interviewee is a maritime attorney who works undercover to get back ships that were seized by pirates. Who would have thunk it, pirates and the economy? Seriously.

4 comments:

karin said...

I heard about something like that the other night. We are left in the dark about so many things, I shouldn't be surprised that something like pirates would be kept a secret too.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading those news stories. Who would have thunk? Since Somalia hasn't had a functioning government in years, piracy flourishes off that coast.

Mom

Ann said...

Pie (who loves all news Iranian) just told me last night about the Somalian pirates who hijaked an Iranian boat and presently have begun to die one by one on board. They're worried that whatever the cargo is (weapons of mass destruction parts?)is poisoning them.

I had no idea pirates were still around either.

go_Jake said...

My career is plateauing. I think I'll take a Continuing Education night course in piracy so I have something to fall back on. It could be a nice boost to my resumé says I.