Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My Inaugural Breakfast


What a blessed piece of luck that this little southern town has been hit with a beautiful winter snowstorm. This has turned out to be one of the most delightful winter days of my life. I've had the roaring fireplace going, and made myself a delicious breakfast of French toast and bacon. I had tested the bread machine my grandmother gave me over the weekend, and although it is really nice to be eating homemade bread that is gluten-free, I still need to do some experimenting to find the perfect tasting recipe. Someday I will be able to find a recipe that tastes like the whole wheat oat honey bread my mother made loaves and loaves of when I was little.

I've been looking forward to this day for many years, and I couldn't think of a better way to celebrate and honor our first African-American president's inauguration, than with this lovely day of fluffy snow, a roaring fire, and a delicious gluten-free breakfast in front of the television.

Cheers to the next four years of change in this country!

5 comments:

Karen B said...

That breakfast looks delicious. I can't believe you hogged it all for yourself and didn't invite me over when you know very well that today I would have enjoyed that breakfast more than any other day. As my call to service from BO, I vow to call you every time I make bacon.

Anonymous said...

Well, in my defense, it was snowing out. As my call of service to BO, I vow to call you every time I make bacon and other breakfast goodness. I expect that Leah will want a call as well about the French toast.

Lisa said...

First of all, I'm impressed that you can spell "Inaugrual". It's a toughie I tell ya!

It was a great day and well deserving of your special breakfast! If you can make a GF bread that rivals a traditional bread, I believe you will be rich and famous. The few I've tried have been far from what I'm accustomed to!

Unknown said...

Sounds delightful and looks delicious.! I am a smidge bitter over the fact that my fire place hasn't worked in the 5 years we have lived in this house despite 3 service calls followed by me insisting that they put in another one instead of fixing the same thing every time which was obviously not WORKING. LOL. They finally put in a new one last summer and we tried it out , worked fine. But when the cold weather comes will it work? Apparently not. I am going to see if Greg can get the pilot light lit today, because it wouldn't cooperate for me, even with the operating manual in my hands. Ugggg!

Unknown said...

I celebrated by making a pizza from scratch which tasted delicious, but instead of being circular, resembled the US of A. It was unintentional, but oh, so appropriate.