Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My Sarah B. Collection

Photo: Sarah B.'s Foot and Baby Snapping Turtle
Location: New Hampshire

I've started collecting Sarah Bs. The first Sarah B. hails from New England, and the second hails from original England.

Sarah B.
My love of Sarah B. started shortly after attending a Halloween party at her house my junior year of high school. She had me hooked with her sparkly personality on a field trip to the Courier Museum in Manchester, where museum docents freaked out at the eerie resemblance between me and a 15th century royal English family.

For her birthday one year, Phil and I collected many items scattered throughout our basement and wrapped it up and gave it to her at her locker. The gift included things such as popsicle sticks, broken fast food toys, maybe even a mismatched sock or two. More recently Sarah B. came to see us in NC and she stayed at the sleeping house.

Currently she is certifying in medical and rescue type things, which means that she will be getting more letters after her name. Phil and I need to add some to her name too. Perhaps you all should submit your ideas.

Sarah B. shares a love of fine chocolate and cheese with me. The first time I ate fine chocolate with her was in Montreal at an Italian restaurant where the snooty guy brought large chunks of it on a tray. Mmmm.... I love Sarah B. and I will see her in two weeks. Yay!

Sarah B.
Sarah B., on the other hand became my friend through adversity. We took a field trip to the Eastern Band of Cherokee Reservation in November. She bravely rode in the dodgy car with a questionable man who proceeded to tell her many creepy and inappropriate anecdotes. She handled it as well as a police
crisis negotiator. Kayleigh (who does not speak the queen's English), on the other hand, pretended to sleep in the back except to pop her head up and look out the back window to make sure that Phil, Dave, and I were still behind them on the highway. Both were scared for their lives. Really!

Since then we have made sure she enjoyed every major US holiday with us so that she can get the full kitschy American experience. She enjoyed her first Thanksgiving on Veteran's Day with us (turns out Pocahontas is buried behind her parent's church).

All the other holidays were equally fun and kitschy. We made sure that she had cranberry sauce in a can and she and Kayleigh made sure that we had a traditional English bread pudding (it was much harder to make in the dorms than you might think). She colored Easter eggs and hunted for them. We gave her the first Easter basket of her life and made sure that it had all the right things, like colored plastic grass (my mother's least favorite thing in the world).

She is currently in NY, but has sent me postcards from Miami and Boston. I miss her and I hope she does graduate school in America. Then I can feed her again.

There you have it, my Sarah B. collection. Phil is also collecting Emilys.


Photo: Sarah B. at Easter
Location: Cary, NC

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was hooked on Sarah B. when we ditched Casey at the Lilac Mall. Turns out it is a lot harder to hide out in Papa Gino's than one would think. Even with the defunct smoking room. We also dodged him all over Kmart before is was Big K little mart.

I am not sure it will be good for my reputation to admit that I met the other Sarah B. on someone elses school field trip. I think it will make me sound really nerdy. We need more foreigners so we can have more obnoxious holidays. It is turning into one of my new favorite past times.

Unknown said...

My mom hates plastic Easter grass, too! I wish I knew your Sarah B.s, and I hope I'm in Phil's collection.

Anonymous said...

We did give her Cadbury Cream Eggs in her Easter basket.

Emily, you are on my list of Emily's. I have had 3 best friends in my life named Emily.

Anonymous said...

Em - if you move to NC you will meet Sarah B. from New England (Elizabeth has already met her when she went to Moab with us a few years ago), and you may even meet Sarah B. from original England if she goes to grad. school in the states. Plus, you can join in our faux holiday fun.

Sarah B. -- You almost did meet Sarah B., I gave her your phone number in case she wanted to meet you while she was traveling your way. I'm sad you didn't meet her, you would have surely become each others favorite Sarah Bs.

Also, Sarah B. gave us a full education on Cadbury since it is a UK company. Apparently we DO NOT get the same Cadbury chocolate she gets at home. She brought me some for my birthday. The difference is in the milk, they use real milk.

Anonymous said...

Sarah B. is delightful! Thank-you for teaching me why Euro-chocolate is yummier. Milk. Who would've thought?

Anonymous said...

I found out earlier this week that the Quakers started Cadbury. Very interesting indeed. Sarah B. will be happy to read your compliment I'm sure.

Call me soon. I am off all next week. Final exams tomorrow morning. Eeek!