Monday, December 18, 2006

Christmas Magic

Photo: Beanzilla in Christmas Village
(the villagers can be heard screaming if you listen closely -- hee hee)


Christmas is still magical for me! So much so, that I don't mind all the stressful parts because it's all worth it for the fun parts. This season, Sarah B. inspired me to make sugar cookies with a recipe she used that taste more like shortbread cookies with their buttery goodness than typical sugar cookies.

Photo: Carrier Cookies

I was able find some butter cream frosting I could eat at the store to make all the fun colors. Scott's cookies are much better looking than mine, but I did give one of my cookies lederhosen. We used mini M&Ms, candy-coated Hershey kisses, and Andy's mints crushed candy canes (found in baking isle) for eyes and stuff. Yummy in my tummy!

Photo: Ali and Scott Being Cute

I did tell all my Sunday school kids that Scott and I were wicked cute decorating our cookies together for a few hours Saturday morning. Of course, I also told them that the last time we were cute was when we went to Charleston together.

Scott was also the bestest husband in the whole triangle because he got the cleaning bug and did all the floors in the downstairs, hung blinds, grocery shopped, and did dishes. All while I showered and went to see Charlotte's Web with Phil, Liz, Em, & AJ (who is our honorary girl since he does everything with us while Dave and Scott do anything else).

Photo: More Carrier Cookies

Scott accused me of being too liberal with the frosting, so I had to cut back. In the end he was right. We had about 50 cookies to decorate, and only two containers of frosting. But the ones with lots of frosting are delicious.

Photo: Meringue Mushrooms

One of my student's mothers made me the cutest mushrooms made of meringue. I was so surprised and delighted, that I had to blog about it. Since I put that thing about wheat in the Apex Ward cookbook, she was able to find something for me to eat. I guess I am really glad I did that. Many people are turning up with wheat allergies or intolerance in my Ward. Who would have guessed. I am now one of three families that get special bread during Sacrament. I don't feel alone anymore.

Yes guys, Christmas is magical. All the stockings are hung by our fireplace with care, and Bean is doing his best to get at them. Our tree is looking beautiful and fun, and there are lots of presents spilling out into the living room. Bean hasn't chewed any of the paper off this year, but he has digested quite a few ribbons. I can't wait for orphan Christmas and regular Christmas. I love Christmas. There is magic in the Nutcracker and Luke 2. I like to put them together, it makes me smile.

5 comments:

Ann said...

You sure are cute. And the cookies look delicious.

Karen B said...

Dear Walice,

I am sorry for being such a bad commenter. I love your cookies. Also, did your cat jump up there or did you put him up there. It doesn't seem like a very likely place for him to jump. All those innocent Christmas villagers killed. Sent to death by a giant cat paw. Though not as giant as Beezus' cat paw.

Love Karen

Unknown said...

You and Scott are the cutest thing that ever was. Keep on making cookies. Except I think Fetey needs to lay off the treats a little this holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Phil and Emily. Now I know that you love me beyond Wednesday lunch at Akashi.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I lifted Bean to smell his stocking (you know, cause there's a can of tuna in it), and he decided to jump the rest of the way to the village.