Monday, January 29, 2007

Grunge Prom Queen... That's Me!!

Photo: Prom Queen Ali being crowned by Homecoming King Dave

I have never been the queen of anything, except DRAMA! This birthday was fantastic, because it allowed me to expand beyond my drama queen days of bona fide high school. For my birthday, Phil and Liz (best sister and cousin to everyone) decided to throw me a grunge prom circa 1993, the year of my actual prom. We researched my yearbook and found that the junior prom theme was "Knights of Enchantment". You can't get anymore prom cheesy than that.

Photo: Ali with the bestest prom committee ever!

Phil and Liz set to work last weekend to build the most spectacular castle out of cardboard, dog cages, and spray paint. They built a moat that lights up and a drawbridge for prom pics. They ordered a disco ball and put up streamers and white Christmas lights. And we had a fog machine, courtesy of my neighbor. It was AMAZING! To see all the pictures (some will get posted later because I still need Liz's copies), click here!

Photo: King Dave and his date who is wearing a dress

Since the true feeling of grunge everywhere was apathy, I didn't go to my real prom, I just crashed all of Jakey's formal dances. For this dance, we all bought $5 thrift store dresses and added the grunge accessories. Phil said that her real gift to me was her in a dress. I think it was really a gift to Dave since he had never seen her in a dress before our prom, not even for their Las Vegas wedding (she wore shorts).

Photo: Paul as the mote monster

For the occasion, Paul learned swim in the moat. Paul has never been happier in her whole life as she has been since the prom came into it. She was the other queen of the prom and spent a great deal of time in and around the castle. During the rest of the time, she was admiring streamers and looking into everyone's cups to make sure the punch wasn't spiked, like Mrs. Norris -- Filch's cat.

...

This was a fantastic birthday. My birthday luck continued into my actual birthday (Sunday). I wore my green fishnets that were a gift from Mara and Cory with black nail polish to church because they more or less dared me too. My students thought it was awesome! I had a nice nap, talked to Scott's grandparents, and my visiting teacher stopped in to bring me birthday chocolate. Then April called me to wish me a happy birthday and to tell me about thawing her turkey.

Scott and I watched Columbo where one of the clues was from my actual first birthday (January 28, 1977) and so I decided it was birthday fate. Of course, for my birthday Scott gave me a pedometer and his gross cold. I wanted the pedometer, not the cold!

Then in a true birthday miracle, Beebe called me and I won Settlers of Cattan for the first time. I then went on to win Balderdash. My winning streak will end for at least another year, but what a birthday. Thank you everyone!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I will never buy a car in Virginia when I'm in my 3rd trimester on the day of Ali's birthday EVER. Talk about regrets.

And I had no idea that Phil wore shorts at her own wedding!

Anonymous said...

If I had thought of it earlier, I would have supplied you with actual songs played at the SHS prom of 1993. The only ones that come to mind right now are "Nights in white satin" by the Moody Blues and if I recall correctly, something by Trixter.--Amy

Anonymous said...

Here we go...the lineup of songs circa 1993 as published in the 'marbelized lustersized memory books' Surrender by Trixter, I'd Die Without You by PM Dawn, Love is on the Way by Saigon Kick, If You Needed Somebody by Bad Company, Glory of Love By Peter Cetera, Forever by Kiss, In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel and Faithfully by Journey. Bad call on my part with that whole Moody Blues thing. AR

Anonymous said...

Amy, you really came through with the song list. Impressive! I wish there was some $50 ticket out there for you to come to the prom.

karin said...

I wish that Em had made it, I would have LOVED to have seen her in Prom Grunge 1993.

*Interesting about Phil and dresses.

Ann said...

What a bash! Happy 31st!