Friday, February 23, 2007

Welcome to Graduate School

Last night I took my first four-hour regular test. It's not that grad school tests are so much harder, just that you have spend way more time thinking about them. I wrote 11 pages. Not blue book pages either, regular pages. My hand was really cramped by page 2. What I learned from this test is that the BS parts cost you lots of hand cramps. Eeek! I hope my long-winded answers get me an A of some kind.

My two closest grad school friends, the wicked smart guy, and I were there an hour past everyone else. Even our Professor went home around hour three. He grinned ear to ear while he told us to keep working as long as we wanted because we were "producing" and he loved it.

In brighter news, I got a 'B' on my advanced stats test, so Emily, Phil, Marya, and my parents ought to be really proud of me. For about three minutes I got to feel like the smart kid because I heard some of the other grades from students. So all the many, many, many hours of tutoring from Phil and Marya paid off. As Britney likes to say, "Thanks Y'all".

5 comments:

Karen B said...

So maybe I was too quick when I judged UNC harshly for their stats class. Maybe the technique is to make the class so tortuous that you will never be able to forget the horrid memories. I bet there are former UNC students that get hypnotised to uncover past abuse and trauma and end up explaining Spearman's Rho.

Unknown said...

Yay! Congratulations! You may pass me up as the best statistician in the gang. (in a frightened whisper:) maybe you already are.

karin said...

Congrats on the stats class (I really hated my stats class and it was just regular not advanced, Em gets defensive about it, but it takes a special person to love stats)! I remember Bryan taking tests in grad school, them taking hours and I would want him to come home and play with the boys or do something fun and he would nap. So good luck with upcoming marathon tests and take a nap when you get home.

Anonymous said...

I was traumatized enough from my grad school meeting today Phil... Spearman's Rho never came up, but it might soon. And Emily, I assure you that you will retain your statistics queen title. I don't love stats and I am not great at them. Karin, I really wanted to take a nap, but insomnia prevented any quality sleep again.

chunkymonkey said...

Yeah! I do miss that rush of adrenaline (is that how to spell?) when you first read the test questions and again that last second before you find out your grade. Congrats!