Friday, April 06, 2007

Love Is In The Air

With the exception of one isolated day in February, thoughts of spring bring thoughts of fanciful love. Just look at every Disney cartoon ever made. Countless romances stir, human and animal alike. And of course LOTS of babies are born. We should have ducklings, goslings, and house wrens any day now.


In celebration of my 100th post AND because some bloggers have complained that there is nothing to blog about, I challenge you all to blog about falling in love with your spouse or first love. If you don't have either, tell us about your first kiss or romantic date. Love is in the air (along with two tons of pollen).

~The Carriers~

One sunny Sunday afternoon in early March, Scott – after just returning from two years of living in the Pacific Northwest was in his car in our hometown, when he spotted me driving home from church. He recognized me even though we had spoken very little when we were in high school together three years previously. He called my parent’s house later that afternoon to find out where I was living. After I returned home, I called him up and we planned to meet that afternoon.

I took him to my office because I had just started my first big job and I was really excited. I was 21 and he was 20, so it seemed even more exciting to both of us since we had been mainly working mall-type jobs. We wandered across the street to a local coffee shop, where we proceeded to have one of those five-hour conversations that are just magical (just like every cheesy, soft-focused, romance movie you've ever seen). I drove him home early that evening. Before getting out of the car, he leaned in to give me a hug and planted a kiss on my left eye. He later told me that he did it on purpose because he figured that if I was interested I might just think he was clumsy, and if I wasn't, I'd just assume it was a friendly kiss.

Both off us were smitten and couldn't stop thinking about each other, but I don't think we knew if it was safe to call each other again so soon. I called him up that Friday and asked him if he wanted to hang out again. He had been thinking the same thing. We went out to eat and then went to the beach. It was very romantic. We sat on a bench overlooking the ocean and he leaned into give me a real smooch. I went home that night, and called Phil and said, "I think I just met the guy I'm going to marry."

It didn't take long before he dragged out of me that I thought he was the one and he felt pretty much the same way. For the next nine months we were so in love that we made everyone around us sick, I'm sure. We dated for over two years before we got married in a lovely garden ceremony at Scott's family's lake front property in Maine. The ceremony was followed by the most beautiful sunset and rainbow. It was surreal, but perfect. Every minute of it.

It has been ten years since our first date that March, and nearly eight years of marriage. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Scott's great! Love is grand... even if there are some days we wish that the other would step off.


~The End~

I hope you all are brave enough to post your love stories. I am sure that Emily in particular would like to read them while she waits for her baby to come out.

** An addendum to the post. We should all congratulate and welcome the newest additions to the Handratty family. The babies have hatched, and there are four cute little fluff balls snuggled in the nest sleeping together. They are super cute!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your post is the greatest thing ever! I will take your challenge, and I really, really hope that everyone else does, too. I need some good reads!

karin said...

I think your post is great but sadly I just don't see myself taking your challenge (I need more structure: fill in the blank, one word answers, yes/no, true/false). I am lazy (I admit it).

Anonymous said...

Karin, perhaps you can tell us your story in two paragraphs or less. Then you can be lazy and tell us about your romance with Bryan.

Ann said...

I think mine will have to be the "two paragraphs or less" kind, too. Coming soon...

Anonymous said...

It was your office that sold me. What an office! Exposed brick and all. It was love at first site... with your office. If you had shown me your cubicle I would have had to bring out my "It's not you, it's me" line ;-).

karin said...

I will see if I can do something in 2 paragraphs or less (hopefully less), for you and to entertain Em.

Anonymous said...

We have a deal then!