Monday, April 16, 2007

Mommy Pit Crew

Photo: Em prepped for surgery
Location: Rex Hospital


Today, Liz and I were team Righter/Bell. We were the mommy pit crew. We went back and forth between hospitals where Em was working on labor with pitocin, and Phil was having her first pregnancy appointment (yes, you read right). Phil's turned out to be a faux appointment that was a stupid class filled with stupid people, but a nurse took pity on her and pushed her blood work through faster. Liz and I hurried back to get her and rush back over to the other hospital to help Em and AJ, where it turns out we missed a lot.

Photo: AJ Stylin' in Scrubs
Location: Rex Hospital


When got back to the hospital, Em was getting her epidural. Quite a bit happened while we were gone for those four hours, but I'll let Em tell her own story. By the time we got back into the room, she was smiling and happy again. After many more hours of trying to keep the new parents occupied with dinner, cards, and funny questions for the nurse, they decided that the little guy's head was just to big to come out. We left as they were prepping for surgery and I am waiting to hear from AJ now. I may only hear from him in the morning, and that's just fine.

I just thought I'd post what I have to appease the anxious family on the other coast. I'll be mommy pit crew again tomorrow. Phil goes to her real first appointment, and I'll keep Em company while AJ goes home for a shower and then I'll go clean and get the guest room ready for their company.

And by the way, I feel just fine referring to myself in NASCAR terms since I live in NASCAR country now.

9 comments:

karin said...

Thank you for posting. I tried to call Em's cell phone earlier but no answer. We would all like calls from her in the am (our AM not hers).

Anonymous said...

No problem. I'll see what I can do, but it really depends on what she feels up to. AJ will make all the appropriate calls, I promise!

Ann said...

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH! The suspense is killing me!!!

I talked to Emmy around 3:00pm Eastern and she was doing great, sans epidural, very upbeat. I'm so anxious to hear what happened next!

Really, only one of us needs a call from a Righter. We can spread the news around very well.

Anonymous said...

Ann, you ought to have been called by now. Call your parents.

chunkymonkey said...

It is late here, I was at mom's tonight, and all I can say is : Yeah! I can't wait to see photos!

What does sans mean? What language is it?

Anonymous said...

It means without. Maybe Latin.

Ann said...

PS- Congratulations Karen!! It took me re-reading the post to fully catch your news! First appointment today? So that makes you due when? Sept? Oct?

And thanks, Ali, for taking such good care of Emmy for us. The pictures are WONDERFUL- especially the family picture. That's my favorite.

Anonymous said...

No problem Ann. I turned off my cell ringer last night after I talked to your mom and slept for 11 hours. I am pooped! Not as pooped as Emily, but none-the-less pooped.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, Phil is due on Em's birthday.