Monday, July 30, 2007

A Butt Brain Review

I have now learned the hard way, that if I have plans to post anything on my blog, I'd better do it before I take my meds, since I have discovered that they wipe my memory clean of all the fun and fancy things I've planned to write for the blogosphere.

Phil and Liz have started calling me butt brain because my meds make me the opposite of me -- docile and weepy -- and Jakey desperately wants to poke the bear now that it's docile and weepy. I've heard rumors (okay from my doctor, so I guess it's not a rumor) that I'll eventually adjust and return to normal. At this point I think it's just a myth, but we'll see. In the mean time I've had to quit my job and I sleep a lot more (tear). On the up side I can watch a movie in the theatre without getting motion sickness and most of my insomnia issues appear to be clearing up.


Scott, who has had to pick up all of the slack at home, took me out into the waking world to see a movie, which I feel deserves a review.

...


Ratatouille
by Disney and Pixar Studios
Rated: G
****
I was not prepared for how good Ratatouille would actually be. It is, after all, a movie about a rat in Paris who wants to be a chef. It seems like a weak plot at best. I have never been so glad to be wrong. Foodees and wanna be foodees everywhere will love this movie. It appears that storywriters and animators really did their research while capturing the essence of loving to create delicious masterpieces in the kitchen. I have not enjoyed a food movie this much since Chocolat. This movie, whose plot was thoroughly enjoyable, made me want to learn even more about food and get creative in the kitchen again. Although it also made me want Joseph, the food scientist, to quit his job and move here to cook in my kitchen and write wondrous posts again full time.

Not only does Ratatouille present you with scrumptious food on screen, the characters were delightful and fun. The food reviewer in particular left us in stitches because he is the consummate French misanthrope, as is Scott, and I am pretty sure that I spoke with the head chef in this movie when confirming my reservation last week for our French hotel in our nation's capitol. This is a movie that adults and children can thoroughly enjoy together.

...

After watching this movie, Phil and Liz and I attempted and failed to make the homemade bread of our childhood. It was tasty, but had the texture and weight of bricks. Since we couldn't make it the same way my mom did when we were little, which was to let the bread rise in our warm avocado green bathroom, we did let it rise in Shangri La, A.K.A. Dave's man cave.

Finding a warm room, it turns out, was not really our problem. Really the problem was that I had to use oat flour, which does not react nearly as well with yeast as wheat flour. Oh well, I guess I'll just eat tasty clumps of brick bread with honey. Until next time...

6 comments:

Ann said...

I feel like Butt Brain most of the time, but my reason of course, would be the fussy little guy next to me who is keeping strange hours at night.

As for the movie, Pie took the kids. They loved it, although Pie didn't know the story beforehand and was more than a little grossed out at the sight of rats in the kitchen!

karin said...

I just confirmed with Drew, he states "It's AWESOME!" (about the movie).

I am sorry you are "Butt Brain." I, too, suffer from Butt Brain but I really have no excuse. Well, maybe it is because I have not been home for more than 4 days in a row in weeks!

Unknown said...

I liked the bread. Who needs light and fluffy? I like substance.

Hey, how do you get your Simpson characters to stand together and pose on your blog like that?

Karen B said...

We call you Butt Brain with love. Just so everyone knows, when the yeast was rising to make the bread that wouldn't rise, first it looked like a butt then it looked like a brain. Thus, Butt Brain.

Anonymous said...

Em, I did it in PhotoShop because that is the magic of PhotoShop!

chunkymonkey said...

I had the same experience with my grandma's famous rolls, only I didn't have the oat flour excuse. I used the exact flour she did, from her own flour bin. Oh, well.