Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Kim and Aggie, Will You Marry Me?

I have a new obsession, and it's because Scott got us digital cable and DVR. With that addition, we have BBC America, which I love, and on that channel is a show called "How Clean Is Your House". I can't stop watching, it's like a train wreck really.

These two ladies go all over the UK to people's houses that are so filthy and full of hoarding that it's nauseating and shocking. People haven't cleaned anything in ten to twenty years. It's so nasty, you can't even figure out how they are still alive and why animal control and child protective services hasn't taken all the pets and children out of the house.

The two ladies, Kim and Aggie, take samples and send it to the lab, then proceed to clean these hovels that should have been burned to the ground. The results are generally quite shocking. Hundreds of thousands of e-Coli on bath towels, pooh on kitchen spoons, 600 gallons of dark filth steam cleaned out of the rug. And after they finish, ta da... you could eat off the floor and maybe even the "loo".

Partially I'm addicted because of the pure shock of it all, and partially I watch because of their cleaning tips. Martha Stewart has nothing on these ladies. NOTHING!! And after today, I am a true believer. I tried one of the tips. Four cups of warm water and two TBSP of white vinegar easily cleaned up cooking grease off the oven hood, stovetop, and cupboards surrounding the stove. Clorox wipes have just not cut it over the last four years.

Truly I was shocked, SHOCKED, at how easily the built up grease came off with a dishrag. It looks almost brand new. Prior attempts with bleach water and scrubbing pads, as well as the Mr. Clean Eraser couldn't do in hours what this little bit of warm vinegar water did in minutes. I heart Kim and Aggie. I'll keep you posted on other tips they've given.

6 comments:

karin said...

I love those ladies too. I think they were Lifetime for a little while too (I think that is where I watched them). I love how they flirt with the guys, they are crack ups!
Please keep us posted on their tips. I should find out if we get BBC.

Karen B said...

Maybe they should come to my house. I'm sure there is evidence of the dogs on everything. I made a picture on my bloggity blog for Jakey.

Unknown said...

Keep them coming! Kitchen grease *is* a beast, and I can't wait to try warm vinegar water.

Anonymous said...

When is this show on? I'm interested!

chunkymonkey said...

I have only seen them once, but we have BBC now, so maybe I can watch it? Is it at night after bed time? That would be good. I wish that I'd known about the vinegar water when we were cleaning the condo's hood. Keep us posted on the tips.

Anonymous said...

The schedule is posted on the BBC America website. Beebe, I really wish I had known about the vinegar water when I was cleaning the tops of our kitchen cabinets when we moved in and when we painted. The previous owner left behind nasty plant residue from years of watering and not moving the plants. Yick!