Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Birth Day

Today is my good friend Emily's birthday. She's 29. I called her to wish her a happy birthday and we decided that we really, really wish the Big Orange Baby would be born today. For two reasons; a.) it's Emily's birthday and that's always fun, and b.) it's going to be unseasonably warm at 79 degrees F, even for our beloved faux-home southern state. Shouldn't everyone have an interesting story to tell about his or her birth day?

For me, there was a huge blizzard in our small Indiana town an hour outside of Chicago. My parents had to call the department of transportation to plow them out, then it turned out to be false labor and I came two weeks later, which happened to be the day before my dad's 26th birthday. Not to mention I nearly came on Mozart's birthday and thus narrowly avoided being named Wolfgang. You see, interesting!

My friend Emily was born on vacation 29 years ago today. My sister Emily was born the day after we moved to Ohio, and my mom drove across two states with a crying toddler and a drooling dog on her due date, which her father never forgave her for. My sister April was born during a caucus (related to my dad's job, not political), hence the nickname she has born for it ever since; April Sylvia Mud Corker Sweetie Pie Caucus Yeagley.

Surely we all need something interesting to mark our actual birth day with. Although, if the Big Orange Baby comes on her induction date, she will have Friday the 13th birthdays several times in her lifetime. I guess that is interesting too. Do you have any interesting birth day stories?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If she's already lost control of the Big Orange Baby, what will happen when she becomes a Big Orange Teenager?! I shudder to think.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing my birth story on my Very Special Day.

Ann said...

HAPPY B-DAY EMMY!

I'll cross my fingers for Big Orange Mama that today's the day!

(I know I've been a sad commenter as of late, Ali, but I'm here, reading all the lovely posts about dream offices and gorgeous quilts. I'm just reading and running on to the pressing events of the season, sans commenting. Forgive me?)

karin said...

HAPPY DAY EM!

Thanks Ali for showing us all up. I called her with promises of her present when she comes- I am having issues of just getting to the grocery store lately- I am not even going to try to go the Post Office.

Anonymous said...

I forgive you Ann. Karin, my whole life is just trying to get to the grocery store. Sometimes it takes me four days to get there. Someday I'll be a normal person again, someday.