Sunday, July 13, 2008

Dessert for Breakfast

Photo: Chocolate and Vanilla Cream with Blackberries
Location: My front porch


Last summer, hubby and I went on a vacation to Washington D.C. We stayed in a fabulous French hotel, where we ordered up delicious things for breakfast. It was indulgent and wonderful, and we were on vacation, so why not. Since hubby's family is French-Canadian, I have grown accustomed to eating all sorts of wonderful things made by the hands of his very talented grandfather whenever we get together -- crepes, pies, custards, garden fresh fruits and veggies. You get the picture.

Well, this week I stumbled across this recipe by a French ex-pat in my home city of Boston, and it made me miss hubby's grandparents, but especially his grandfather's cooking. I got brave and decided I had to try it -- I made some changes of course, I can't help myself. I used half heavy cream and half soy milk, and I let the heated cream sit with the vanilla beans for 7 minutes instead of 30. I have to say it came out wonderful anyway.

Photo: Apricots, Blackberries, and Bing Cherries
Location: My front porch

I also spotted some beautiful and delicious looking fruit at the grocery store yesterday, and couldn't resist. It's one of the best things about summer. During the winter I really miss all the wonderful foods available to me at farmers markets and grocery stores. I crave it actually. So when it's in season, I load up and eat until my taste buds nearly burst with fruity delight.

Photo: Apricots
Location: My front porch

This morning I decided I wanted to indulge for breakfast, so I washed up some delicious fruits, paired it with a ramekin of the vanilla cream, and chased it down with some sweet and sparkling blood orange Italian soda I picked up on sale yesterday. Cream and fruit, is there anything better for breakfast? I dare you to try to find something better. There isn't. I've tried nearly everything for breakfast.

Photo: Bing Cherries
Location: My front porch


And the Bing cherries, they are the sweetest, I'm convinced of it. How delicious and divine. I know my carrying on about this breakfast may be a bit over the top, but when you are as restricted in your eating as me, there is a great need to enjoy the good foods you can eat to the fullest.

Photo: Milk of Magnesia
Location: My kitchen window


And besides, my mother the pharmacist, did give us oatmeal with vanilla ice cream when we were kids, so I think it's okay to eat all this fruit and cream this morning. It's summer and you only go round this little planet of ours once, so I say enjoy. Let them eat dessert for breakfast!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I move onto your front porch?!?!? There are always fabulous things out there.... :)

Hannah said...

Yum! And I LOVE those pictures, they are beautiful!

karin said...

I want cream and fruit. Maybe I would like breakfast more if that is what I was having. Okay I'll be honest, I enjoy breakfast, I just don't want to make it. Maybe I should move to your porch and have yummy foods all summer long.

Ann said...

Doesn't that look delicious! I regularly have dessert for breakfast, but not fruit and cream. I'm putting cream on my grocery list for this week.

Unknown said...

I'm almost in tears at this post. Is it the pregnancy? Or would any normal person want your food this much? Why do you taunt me a whole hour before lunch? And I'm just going to the cafetorium!

Anonymous said...

Heather has read my mind. After reading your photo captions I think I need to start spending some time on your font porch!

Anonymous said...

FRONT porch, that is... though if you had a font porch I would spend time there as well, because I am sure it would be blissfully free of Comic Sans...