Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I Ask You, What do Alfred Hitchcock, My Grandmother, and Popcorn All Have To Do with Each Other?

Photo: Our Popcorn
Location: Believe it or not, my guest room

Hubby and I have been having date night for years now. In the early days we used to order cheap pizza and watch our favorite Friday night TV show. We were living in Boston. He was in school, I was working, and we were living paycheck to paycheck. Even though we were broke, those were some of the best dates we ever had.

Here we are years later, and our dates have improved with our income over time, but my health issues put the kibosh on our more elaborate and expensive dates, especially where eating is concerned. In recent weeks, however, Hubby started recording Alfred Hitchcock movies. He convinced me to start watching them with him, and this past weekend he had the genius idea of popping popcorn on the stove.

I had forgotten how delicious popcorn popped on the stove could be. It was shocking to us both to taste the difference in quality. I have been eating the chemically coated, sodium saturated, slightly burned microwave popcorn for almost 20 years now. When we were kids, my parents would pop huge batches of popcorn on the stove and take us to the movies and drive-in theatre with an oil and butter soaked brown grocery sack full of the stuff. Eventually we found it somewhat embarrassing, but poverty really got us the better popcorn. Had we only known, perhaps I would have avoided years of sub-par theatre and microwave popcorn.

So the romance of the early days of our relationship is alive again with Hitchcock on the weekends and stove popped popcorn. I must admit I am completely hooked. Hitchcock was a film noir genius.

We watched two of them this weekend, the first that starred a leading lady who looked so much like my grandmother when she was young. Her character was so optimistic, that I began to imagine that she might have embodied my young grandmother in many ways. I really enjoyed that aspect of the movie, although the overall film was excellent. I have included a picture of my grandmother and the movie trailer to let you be the judge.

Photo: My Grandmother in 1933



Shadow of A Doubt, Starring Theresa Wright

I encourage you all to watch a good movie and to pop some popcorn on the stove. It's much more delicious, healthy, and better for the environment (less packaging and processing). Did I mention how much cheaper it is than going to the movies?

And I must confess that even though date night is all romance around here, most other days are quite regular. We do not run around perpetually in love like a cheese ball Disney movie.

...

Popcorn on the Stove

1/2 Cup of popcorn kernels
2-3 Tablespoons of vegetable oil
2 Tablespoons of melted butter
Ground sea salt to taste

Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepan on med-high heat. Put two kernels in the oil and cover with a lid. When the one, or both, of the kernels pop add the rest of the kernels. Cover and jigger the pot a little on the burner to keep the kernels from burning and sticking. When the kernels slow their popping to one-per second, pull off the burner and transfer to a nice big bowl. Add the sea salt and melted butter, mix well. Stuff your face silly in front of the boob tube.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rear Window is one of my all time favorites!!! It's a must see!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting the recipe...I am so glad you and Scott are committed to "date nights", it's so sweet. We need to follow your lead more often, for sure! And I agree, the movie theaters are overrated these days!! BTW,nice photos

karin said...

I can't remember the last time Bryan and I had a date night (unless you count the walking we did when we were waiting for me to go into labor and the boys were at my parents').

I want stove-popped popcorn. Maybe we will do that on Friday, the boys will LOVE it.

Unknown said...

I love both Hitchcock and fresh, homemade, from-the-kernel popcorn. Movie popcorn is pretty nasty. So is mall popcorn and fair popcorn. I own Rear Window, and I've been trying to convince AJ to watch Psycho with me pretty much since we met.

Unknown said...

I don't know WHAT is in Movie Theatre popcorn but it almost always makes me sick.

Your grandmother is a beauty queen, prettier than the actress I think!

The Eslinger Family said...

Homemade popcorn and a nice quiet datenight at home sounds so nice. Maybe we'll do that this friday...except for the quiet part. With 2 little boys, quiet is hard to come by. =) Thanks for posting your recipe too! My son is facinated with cooking, so I think he'll just love watching corn pop!

Shelby said...

Yeah one night Shauna decided to make stove top popcorn and didn't read any directions at all. Long story short we had an oil fire going on the stove and the only thought that came into my head was "Salt, salt will put it out." So I started shaking the salt shaker over it." Needless Shauna found a better method to put out the fire.

chunkymonkey said...

I luv A.H. movies. Grandmother is gorgeous. I love fresh popcorn. Sadly, I love movie popcorn. It just smells so good, but it is such a disappointment to eat.

chunkymonkey said...

And sorry for my lack of comments, as of late. First, my childrens interrupt me EVERY TIME I start to comment. Then, the keyboard fiascos. Love ya!

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

The similarity between your grandmother and the woman from the AH movie are crazy!

Here's a question about stove popcorn-- do you have any trouble getting it to be as light and kernel-free as the store kind? Every time I've tried popping it on the stove, there is a little too much crunch. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

Lora Leigh, we just buy good popcorn and make sure the oil is plenty hot enough. We still get some kernals, but less than the microwave kind.

And thanks everyone who commented on my grandmother and photography.