Sunday, August 10, 2008

Yeagley Spawn Archives

If you've known me in real life between the years 1977 and 1998, then this is the post for you. If you haven't you can either ignore this post entirely, or take a peek for fun. I helped my parents archive all of their old negatives through a service called Scan Cafe. I'll include a review of their service at the end.

In the meantime, the way this works is that I have uploaded everything onto flickr and you can search by year or type. All categories are listed below and are clickable to the sections. All the images have been uploaded at a high resolution so they can be downloaded at a larger size and printed. To download the larger sizes, click on the image, then on "All Sizes".

...

1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, and 1998.

NH Friends
Ohio Friends
Extended Family
Somersworth Ward
...

Scan Cafe Review

Pros:
  • Their service was much, much cheaper than all the competition at $.19 a scan (now $.24 which is still far cheaper than everyone else)
  • They only required you to keep and pay for 50% of the order, so you don't have to pay for bad photos you don't want
  • It was easy to send negatives because I wasn't required to sort them first ( although I did anyway)
  • They used a printable UPS label that was also easy
  • They scanned everything at a much higher resolution than the competition, and I can comfortably print up to 8x10 inches
  • All the images are saved as JPGs
  • They were highly recommended by reliable sources (ancestry.com, Oprah, CNN Money, etc...)
  • They corrected all the images as much as possible and did a good job of correcting negatives that were in bad shape
  • They scan negatives, slides, and prints
  • They put everything on a DVD and shipped it back with the original negatives
Cons:
  • It is a long process, about three months total
  • The user interface is buggy, clunky,tedius, and sometimes hard to use once the images are posted online for you to review and select (about two month wait)
  • Sorting was impossible online until I got my DVD back, and you can't sort anything until you've paid for your completed order, so your disk will be in the order they scanned it
  • They skipped three pages of negative sleeves for no clear reason
  • You can't order prints through their service, but you can send the JPGs to other sites like Walmart or shutterfly
In general I was satisfied with the results and I would use them again, but I will use them knowing that there are some problems I may not avoid. I will be sending the negatives they skipped back with my next order. Dealing with the problems was worth what I got in the end. I feel I got my money's worth.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Incredible!!! I love them. Especially "1978 Jake on Grandma and Grandpa's Couch" - even as a baby, Jake looks so very Jake.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh... "1992 Alice Gold & Green Ball" is also classic - nice perm, Ali!

Anonymous said...

You're right about that perm Sarah. Jake is partial to all the triangle hair photos. Although, the Anthony Michael Hall hair in 1987 is pretty rad too.

karin said...

I LOVE looking at the old photos of us. I look like Lil A SO MUCH- it is a little scary.

Anonymous said...

Those were hysterical!

chunkymonkey said...

So many comments, so many memories! I do enjoy knowing that the kindergarden play was the same one for all the Yeagly kids. It is just right. And I don't remember us being that little and young. I always felt very grown up. You too, right? I'm guessing that from how you cross your legs so lady like when we were 7-ish.

Unknown said...

The glee you have in every picture on your birthday in 1981 leads me to believe that was the best year of your life.

Ann said...

The Vogue dress looks amazing on you Ali! And Mrs. Raines was first grade, right? And the unknown's name from Marcia, Ann and Some Girl is Kay Rotell, in case you care.

What a huge project!