Thursday, June 19, 2008

Hotel Ali

Photo: New Mattress and Bedding

A little known fact about Ali-kat, is that I work very hard to be the best hostess ever. It all started a few years ago when my friend Amy called me up one day to tell me the horrors of her trip to visit another friend of ours on an island in the Pacific Northwest. A "friend" who left her with no pillow or bed to sleep on hardwood floors, no food, forced her to spend several hours in the car after a long flight, with no choice about the activities she would participate in, and many other hosting atrocities that I will not divulge here. I was so shocked, that I vowed that day to become the best hostess ever. When Amy came to visit me a few months later, I tried not to disappoint her and nearly didn't, except that a nasty case of food poisoning caused me to puke on her. Even with the puke, I still scored a much higher rating than her previous hostess (yes, it was that bad).

Since then, being the best hostess ever has become less of a challenge and more of a life philosophy. After Amy's trip to visit me, I have steadily worked hard to provide the best guest accommodations. My sister, April, gives me a 4-star rating and says it's like staying in a hotel. Since my previous career had me traveling to 4- and 5-star hotels very regularly, I have become a bit of an expert in how to anticipate a guest's every need and comfort, hotel-style.

I have an amenities basket in my private guest bathroom, which is very well stocked with anything a guest may have forgotten (i.e., toothbrush, mini-loofah, deodorant, etc...), hotel-style towel rack with towels folded just like a Marriott Courtyard, empty drawers for them to unpack into, bottled water, toilet paper folded into points, etc. I try to stock my pantry with all their favorites (been doing that since Amy too), and I try to make the bedroom as comfy as possible.

Attention traveling ladies and gents, I have finally upgraded from the old air mattress/futon/bedding. I went out and purchased an actual mattress, which is topped with space foam, and now -- thanks to good finds in a discount retailer -- covered in very pretty 450-thread count, sateen sheets, with a hotel-style white, cotton blanket and light-weight bedspread. Makes you want to crawl in right now and take a leisurely afternoon nap, doesn't it? My friend Emily popped in for a nap one day, and said it was the best nap of her life.

Photo: The Sheets and Shams

I also relocated the drapes from my dining room, because they match the teal, gold, and white color scheme that the room now has -- let me tell you, that those drapes caused the biggest decorating brouhaha between hubby and I of our entire marriage, needless to say he was very happy to see them relocated yesterday afternoon -- and while I realize it sounds like an awful combination, believe me when I tell you the room makes you feel like you are in a 4-star spa suite. I ain't lyin'. And even though, I hate "Hotel Aht" (yes I'm from the Boston area) in my house, I picked up a piece in the clearance rack yesterday because I wanted the frame, only to find out it was pre-done "Aht" that I couldn't pull apart, so it will have to stay "Aht" for now. I figure if it's going to say "London", it can be in homage to my English friend, Sarah.

I think I have done it. I think I have finally achieved my goal to become the best hostess ever and may have even secured my title as such. My mom is coming in a couple of weeks for my cousin's wedding, so we'll see how she rates the B&B called "Casa Ali". Maybe I'll leave a comment card in her room. Want to give me another whirl Amy?

...

Photo: H Takes his Swimming Quite Seriously Now

On another note, we have all started swimming in Cousin Liz's pool pretty regularly. Partially for exercise, but also to keep the babies happy. Cousin Liz has just started her summer job of watching the babies until the next school year (she's a high school English teacher).

Photo: H Loves Swimming with his Fauntie Liz

Baby H now has no fear about the water and wants Liz and I to throw him to each other over and over again. He LOVES it, and doesn't care how much nasty pool water he swallows. And for all your mothers out there panicking about throwing babies in pools, please note that Liz and I are three feet away from each other in the shallow end of the pool.

Photo: Leah Swims with her Mom

Leah was unsure when she first started swimming, but now she's a pro and likes to lounge in the baby float. She is most interested in eating the orange squishy ball (seen reflected in her mother's sunglasses), because she too likes nasty pool water in her mouth. Babies are gross!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I lived farther so it made more sense to visit!
Thanks for posting my lil swimmer. I've been a slack blogger lately.

Hannah said...

Wow that looks really nice! My mom's coming today and I've been doing lots to get ready for that (new sheets, etc), but the basket idea is GREAT! I'll have to remember that for next time. I've always wanted to be the best hostess and it looks like you are some pretty stiff competition.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Hannah. I've gotten to experience your hospitality and it far exceeds any other I've had. I too have dreams of attaining Ali-like quality in my roll as a hostess. I suspect Hannah will achieve it before me though!

Ann said...

An amenities basket is the most brilliant hostess idea I've ever heard of! Pie brings home hotel shampoos all the time, I should save them for guests! My future guests thank you, Ali.

I'm glad for the baby photos, too. At least you're letting me watch my nephew grow up (hint, hint, Em!)

Unknown said...

Cute babies!!! Awesome Hotel Room! You are the hostest with the mostest. I want to do MY own bedroom like that since it is TOTALLY the worst room in the house. Sigh...we'll get there.

Unknown said...

Dang! Sorry I missed the contest - how fun! And no fair, I was out of town! ;)

karin said...

WOW! People feel strongly about the best hostess ever. If I could afford the air fare to get there, I would come because I REALLY need a nap today.
I (like Ann) thank you for posting photos of H since his mother has decided that posting on her own blog is beneath her. I am working on a few posts so I am in the clear about lack of posts (and I posted last night!).
Could you post about H once or twice a month of those of us in the West Coast?

chunkymonkey said...

I have tried to comment lately, and keep getting interup

Joe and Lora Leigh said...

Very cute room! It sounds like you are an excellent hostess. Since we live about 2 miles apart, it probably doesn't make sense for me to stay in Casa Ali... too bad! I know what you mean about being a good hostess though. I've stayed with some friends and family before that made few to no attempts at being hospitable. I couldn't wait to get home! Since then, I have also tried to be a better hostess. We don't get visitors very often, so we try to convince them that they want to come back!

Anonymous said...

Dear locals, you are more than welcome to come for an afternoon nap in the Casa Ali bed. It'll be the best nap of your life. It is frequently my best nap.

Anonymous said...

Not to be contrarian, but if you're in the area, Casa Bell is infinitely better! You should definitely stay there.

The owner of 'Casa Ali' is real nice, but the hostess has a bit of an attitude and she has this odd fear of gluten. If soggy pasta that smells like corn is your idea of a good time, then this place if for you.

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to Scott, Casa Ali is better than Casa Bell. Unless you can't do stairs, then stay at Casa Bell.

Anonymous said...

I am glad my rotten trip out West was able to give you the determination in life to be the best hostess ever! I absolutely enjoyed my time and the amenities at Casa Ali. And you even puked on me politely. And you let me do my laundry after that. It was much appreciated. I'm packing my bags!!!